One of my New Year’s Goals is to lose twenty pounds. Since I’ve already lost twenty-five and have kept it off for over a year I’ve made a list of some things that have worked for me. Feel free to try them out for yourself.
1. First of all this is a lifestyle NOT a diet. It’s not about perfection it’s about being healthy.
2. Don’t throw away everything you like and say, “I can never have that again.” That is self sabotage. Instead take the things you like (for example: cookies) and put them in single serve bags so you won’t over do it.
3. I’ve had great success on Weight Watchers Points Plan. I write the point values on all my foods when they come in the door. That way when a snack attack hits I know exactly what I’m eating.
4. Write down your menu before the day begins along with the point values so you have a plan and don’t go overboard.
5. Clean and prepare fruit and veggies as soon as you bring them home from the grocery store so they’re ready to eat when you’re hungry.
6. Find things you enjoy doing (other than snacking). I enjoy reading, embroidery, and writing.
7. Deprivation will not work long-term. Re-learning how to be healthy is the goal. If you have a bad day it’s ok – you’re learning how to do better. Start again with the next meal and do better. Don’t beat yourself up. Just keep making one good choice after another.
Three things I’m thankful for today:
1. I’ve kept the twenty-five pounds off even though I’ve been going through hell.
2. I have lots of books to read thanks to Kindle’s freebies.
3. I have a plan for weight loss today and all I have to do is follow it.